A Tradition OfSuccess And Client Satisfaction

Texas child support modification process

On Behalf of | Oct 22, 2021 | Child Custody

Texas lawmakers understand that financial circumstances don’t always remain the same for parents after divorce. Therefore, it is possible to modify your child support agreement to an amount that you are comfortable giving while still helping meet the child’s needs. If you have been looking to modify your child support payment amount, here is how the process works in Texas.

Child support in Texas

The noncustodial parent in Texas contributes to the child’s upbringing by making monthly contributions until they turn 18 or graduate from high school, whichever comes later. However, if the child is physically or mentally disabled, then the noncustodial parent will pay for support indefinitely.

Relationship between child support and custody

Any changes that occur to child custody directly affect the child support agreement. For instance, if you petition to change the terms of agreement of where the child stays or the number of visitations you should have, you will also need to apply for a support modification. If the custodial parent transfers custody to the grandparents, aunt or uncle of the child, then the court will also look into the child support agreement under the new underlying circumstances.

Circumstances that would require child support modification

If you are the noncustodial parent and you happen to have another child, receive an inheritance, earn a raise or lose your job, then you have grounds to modify the child support agreement. It’s also possible that the child has a change in medical coverage and insurance, has special educational, medical, or psychological needs, or moves to a new living arrangement. In that case, either of the parents can petition to modify child support.

You can modify child support in Texas either through the court or the Child Support Review Process. CSRP is the fastest and easiest way to get the modification you need if you and your ex agree on the changes to be made. You can only go to court after there has been a substantial change in circumstances of the child or the noncustodial parent or after three years have passed since the last order.